Sunday, March 8, 2009

Homework Assignment

I did the homework assignment and used some of the things that we've learned in this class with one of my classes. I decided to create a google group for one of the classes that I teach, Fit & Well For Life (a fitness based Phys. Ed. course that I created). We will use the group to discuss topics that we cover in class and for homework assignments.
I took the class to the computer lab on Friday to sign up for gmail accounts ...and more if we had time. Many students got further than I expected and many were not even able to set up an account. First I had students sign up for a gmail account. Then I had them put together their igoogle page. That worked well as everyone had something to do even while waiting for others to catch up. Gmail blocked some students from signing up for an account because it determined them to be spammers because so many people had tried to set up accounts from the same computer. Those students had to set up their gmail account for homework.
Then I had each student email me at my gmail account so that I had their address to use to invite them to the group. Then I sent them an invitation to join the group from the google group page. I am wondering if there is an easier way to get everyone to the group page besides emailing each person individually. I made the page public and tried getting to it by just using the web address but was not able to find the page (even though I had the exact address), so I figured I had to do it that way.
Then the students were able to get to the group and reply to the my post which asked them to check in by posting a note saying that they had made it to the group and to share their thoughts about igoogle. Many of the students thought the group idea was cool. Also, many thought that igoogle was alright, but said that they liked yahoo's homepage better.
Next, I will have them visit themeatrix.com and watch 'The Meatrix', 'The Meatrix II', and 'The Meatrix II 1/2' and post to the group with their comments. (If you haven't visited themeatrix.com and are interested in nutrition and/or food sustainability, you should check it out. Its humorous AND educational!)

1 comment:

  1. By your last paragraph, it sounds like you're a vegetarian. Or maybe you're in to meat that comes from healthy animals. Either way, I think a good health course ought to cover ways of meeting our need for protein, as well as other essential nutrients, without eating animals. There seem to be so many alternatives now to feeding yourself well without meat, though some of the healthiest food you can buy is also more expensive.

    ReplyDelete